Mission: Improve the lives of working families in West Alabama and bring economic and social justice in the workplace.
West Alabama Labor Council was first organized June 5, 1951 under the Congress of Industrial Organizations as the Tuscaloosa County Industrial Union Council. The charter members were Daniel H. Turner, J. C. Kirkley, Hal Davis, Mack Wilson, W. D. Cameron, F. E. Wright, Harry Martin, J. D. Dockery, G. W. Richardson and W. E. Gilbert.
On February 18, 1960, five years after the merger of the AFL and the CIO, Tuscaloosa County Industrial Union Council was issued its orignal charter as an AFL-CIO organization.
That AFL-CIO charter was amended on October 20, 1967 when the name was changed to the Tuscaloosa Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO. Officers at that time were L. L. Jones, H. J. Weber, Nora Weaver, J. B. Smith, John Robertson, James S. Maxwell and Bernard Rosenbush.
The charter was amended again on October 27, 1992 when the name was changed to West Alabama Labor Council, AFL-CIO. Officers were Sidney Hannah, Ann Skelton, Susan Fikes, Alfred Rice and Kenneth Walters.
To accomplish our mission of improving the lives of working families and bring economic and social justice in the workplace we:
- Encourage affiliation and participation of labor organizations throughout West Alabama.
- Build a broad movement of West Alabama workers by helping workers join and form unions.
- Support West Alabama workers as they bargain with employers to improve their living conditions and workplaces, as well as their communities, state and nation.